BPR Recipes | Cynthia Beretta’s Make-Ahead Stuffing
Holiday dinners can be overwhelming, with all the planning and preparation that goes into creating the perfect meal. Beretta Farms, co-founder Cynthia Beretta, is helping alleviate the stress this year with her recipe for stuffing that can be prepared ahead of time. This Holiday favourite can be made up to two weeks in advance, for one less stress on the big day!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. Beretta Farms Maple breakfast sausage, meat removed from casings
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, with leaves, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 11⁄2 lbs Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 7 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 teaspoons sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 Cups fresh bread crumbs
- Sauté sausage, onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms until the sausage is fully cooked, 7-10 minutes.
- Add fresh thyme, sage, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat when there is still some liquid at the bottom of the pot.
- Combine the bread crumbs with sausage mixture and mix well. Cover and let cool.
- Once cooled to room temperature, transfer the stuffing into resealable freezer bags and store. Freeze in bundles to make defrosting easier. Stuffing can be frozen up to 2 weeks in advance.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Slowly break apart the stuffing with your hands, place it in the greased baking dish and let it heat through in the oven.